Sunday, July 6, 2008

League of Extraordinary Readers

Our last meeting, to discuss Infidel, by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, involved a spirited conversation about religion, politics and gender roles around the world. I wrote my own review of the book on my regular book blog, but I won't put them here because they are not representative of everyone's views. But do check it out for link what Hirsi Ali's doing now and to view the video she made with Theo van Gogh. The book club is turning out just the way I'd hoped - a time and place where nice people can discuss, for example, what it means to be a conservative in Holland vs. the US, whilst drinking some fine wine and having a great time!

The next book is nominated by C.: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1 by Alan Moore. Member's who haven't had time to read our multi-hundred page selections thus far might be able to squeeze in this graphic novel!

No comments: